Thursday, December 6, 2012

PRINT VERSUS BROADCAST

There's a significant difference in the writing styles of broadcast and print news. Print is more formal. It usually has longer, more complex sentences and larger words. Broadcast is intentionally conversational, using more informal language, shorter words and sentences, and a laid back style.
Although most of the writing I have done has been for print, I have had quite a few experiences writing broadcast scripts. It really isn't much of a struggle for me to write broadcast, since I try to make even my  print writing as conversational as possible.
However, I do have a tendency to use long and complex sentences, so I'll have to say that print is a bit easier for me. The next time you watch news on television, stop and really listen to the sentence structure and phrasing of what's being said. I can't really say I ever thought about who wrote it, but someone must have.
For some good examples of print and broadcast, check out the links below.

Broadcasting with british accents: http://youtu.be/AH3a1gBHfSA

Print news: http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/the-not-so-dark-side-of-earth/

No comments:

Post a Comment